Southern Nursery Association Current Events Calendar
The National Gardening Survey is the comprehensive market research report that leaders in the lawn and garden business count on each year to track the market and help them make strategic marketing decisions. Conducted annually since 1973 by the Gallup Organization, Inc. for the National Gardening Association, the Survey provides in-depth and up-to-date marketing information on industry trends, household participation, consumer profiles and retail sales. Ordering and price information is available at the bottom of the web-page.
Garden Center Solutions specializes in advertising and marketing solutions for the Green Industry. Garden Center Solutions works with you to find ways to market your business by using the most affordable, professional programs and methods available.
The Garden Center Group is an alliance of garden centers, consultants, service providers and preferred vendors who work together creating a community of professionals with one goal in mind…helping each other build successful companies. When you join The Group you’ll have access to some of the industry’s leading experts on business management issues along with dozens of garden center owners from across the country; centers facing the same business concerns as you on a daily basis.
Establishing and Operating a Garden Center 2002. Multi-state Regional Research Project and published by NRAES (Natural Resource, Agriculture, and Engineering Service). The objective of this publication is to estimate establishment and operating costs for garden centers at two levels of sales and to specify the general set of financial, marketing and business principles that should be available to the owner/manager of a garden center. Capital budgets, including investment and operations costs for each firm, are developed. A merchandising program (layout, pricing, advertising, cost structure and diversification) is also outlined.
Garden Center Critique & Merchandising Guide – Packed with information and photographs from 12 of New England’s successful garden centers, The Garden Center Critique & Merchandising Guide will help you analyze your marketing practices, scrutinize your operation through the eyes of your customers, improve efficiencies and develop innovative marketing strategies that will differentiate you from your competitors.
The University of New Hampshire Cooperative Extension releases Master Gardener Annual Report yearly. Current report 2012.
The U.S. Lawn & Garden Market. Now in its 6th edition, this study by Packaged Facts features numerous tables detailing sales patterns for L&G equipment, supplies, and services, with projections offered to 2009. It also contains profiles of major marketers such as MTD, Toro, Electrolux, Deere, Ames True Temper, Fiskars, Scotts, TruGreen-Chemlawn, and now Briggs & Stratton and Rayovac; provides compete coverage of new product trends; engages in a thorough analysis of distribution and retail sectors; and surveys consumer purchasing patterns for numerous lawn and garden products and services.
Software for the Green Industry – One of the questions most often asked is “What software alternatives are out there for the green industry?” While the list below is not meant to be all-inclusive, it is a good point from which to start in analyzing which software may be best suited for your firm:
- Adkad Technologies – Customer Maintenance and Billing Software for the Landscape Professional.
- Argos Software – Vertically integrated nursery and greenhouse software.
- ArtVision – publisher of 3D Garden Composer – garden design software.
- Design Imaging Group, Inc. – Professional Software for the Design/Build Landscape Contractor.
- Garden Center Software – Windows based Point-of-Sale system for Garden Centers.
- groWare – software for all types of growers and includes a retail module.
- GrowTech Solutions – specialize in task-specific software for pesticide management, color tag & label printing and associated supplies.
- Nursery Designs – software package for the nursery/greenhouse industry, whether wholesale or retail.
- PlantAmerica – Software for Horticulture and Design.
- Quickbooks – powerful accounting software for all types of businesses. Now offers a retail edition.
- Rapid Garden POS – POS and inventory management system for retail garden centeras and nurseries. In business for 20 years. Also privide hardware, software and support.
- Simpos! Software – POS software for the lawn and garden retailer.
- SLICE Technologies – Computer software for Nurseries, Landscaping, Maintenance and Retail businesses.
- Software Republic – offers landscape and irrigation design software for green industry professionals.
- Starcom Computer Corporation – Plant Partner greenhouse production and sales software.
- UDS Green Industry Software – Software for Nurseries, Landscapers, Garden Centers, and Greenhouses.
- Winplant Software Corp – Nursery Management Software.
- Business.com-The Business Search Engine- Horticulture and Field Crop Software In today’s business world it is necessary to utilize technology to remain competitive. If you are looking to buy new software, or upgrade your old products, this website is another good place to start your research.
E-commerce applications in the green industry. Although e-commerce performance in the green industry has been mixed to date, opportunities do exist to apply information technologies to the marketing of green industry products and services. While appropriate B2C models are still being evaluated, B2B models/portals have been highly touted as useful tools for e-procurement and online exchange. A few of the most popular B2B green industry sites (provided only as examples of this latest trend – not an endorsement) include Plant and Supply Locator, and PlantAmerica.com.
Spectrum Net Designs offers services to the Green Industry including internet access, website registration, website hosting, website design, and website marketing.
Focal Point Communications has been producing creative brochures, newsletters and sales aids for the green industry since 1987. Landscape companies, lawn care companies, trade associations and suppliers use Focal Point for solutions to their marketing challenges.
Conversion Table reference : Conversion Tables, Formulas, and Suggested Guidelines for Horticultural Use published by the Georgia Cooperative Extension Service.
Associations are a vital part of the development and growth of businesses and the ornamental horticulture industry as a whole. The following are links to national, state, and regional associations.
- Garden Centers of America
- americanhort.org – Consolidated site of the American Nursery and Landscape Association and The Association of Horticultural Professionals
- Southern Nursery Association
- Texas Nursery and Landscape Association
- Tennessee Nursery and Landscape Association
- Middle Tennessee Nursery Association
Greenhouse and Nursery Industry Trade Magazines (and other commercial publications):
Many of the industry trade magazines are available free of charge to commercial operations. They provide a wealth of applied information.
- Greenhouse Grower, Meister Publishing Company, 37733 Euclid Ave., Willoughby, OH 44094-5992; Tel: 440-942-2000 www.greenhousegrower.com
- Greenhouse Business, McCormick Communications Group Ltd., PO Box 698, Part Ridge, IL 60068-0698;1951 Rohlwing Rd, Suite B, Rolling Meadows, IL 60008; Tel: 847-870-1576.
- Grower Talks, Subscription Dept., PO Box 9, 335 North River St. Batavia, IL 60510-0099; Tel: 888-888-0013 www.growertalks.com
- Green Profit, Ball Publishing, 335 N. River Street, Post Office Box 9, Batavia, IL 60510-0009 USA; tel (630) 208-9080; fax (630) 208-9350; email email@example.com
- American Nurseryman magazine, also a source for many books, videos and software, American Nurseryman Publishing Co., 223 W. Jackson Blvd., Suite 500, Chicago, IL 60606-6904, Phone: 312.427.7339; 800.621.5727; Fax: 312.427.7346; Web: www.amerinursery.com
- Something to Grow On, Auburn University Nursery Newsletter, Contact: Bernice R. Fischman, firstname.lastname@example.org
- North Carolina Nursery Notes, NC Association of Nurserymen, Inc., 968 Trinity Rd., Raleigh, NC 27607, Tel: 919.816.9119, Fax: 919.816.9118, email: email@example.com
- Nursery Retailer – a trade magazine dedicated to providing content that will enhance the business practices of retail garden centers.
- Digger, published by Oregon Association of Nurserymen, 2780 SE Harrison St. Suite 102, Milwaukie, OR 97222; Tel: 503-653-8733; 800-342-6401 www.nurseryguide.com
Tax Information for Businesses. This website, provided by the IRS, is a good source of information for tax rules and regulations.
The Small Business/Self-Employed webpage, also provided by the IRS, offers information and links for starting a business, employee records, employer id numbers, and many other aspects of owning and operating a small business.